Thursday, June 20, 2013

Olga Bread

Ever been to Olga's Kitchen?  They make all their sandwiches with their special Olga bread.  My mom gave me the recipe awhile back and I made it for the first time yesterday.  The whole fam loved it and I used some of the leftover breads to make mini pizzas today.


Olga's Kitchen Bread Recipe
(with my mom's notes)

1 cup milk 
1/4 cup honey 
1/4 cup margarine 
1 teaspoon granulated sugar 
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
1 egg
4 cups all-purpose flour, divided 
1 teaspoon salt 
1/4 cup warm water

I use my Kitchen Aid for this, but you could also use a bread machine.  Heat the milk and honey in the microwave, and then stir in the margarine until it's melted.  Add the sugar and 1 1/2 cups flour, mix until combined.  Add egg and yeast, mix to combine.  Add salt and remaining flour  and knead for several minutes.  I don't usually need to add any of the warm water, but if the dough is too dry, add up to 1/4 cup.

Place dough in a greased bowl, turn to oil top and cover.  Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.   Punch down and cut into 16 pieces.  Roll each into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.  (You will want to roll out all the dough before you start cooking.)

Cook each piece in a large preheated skillet, approx 10 -15 seconds per side. You may need to spray it with Pam a couple of times.  I use a cast iron skillet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note! I love to hear from my readers.