Monday, January 21, 2013

Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal in the Crockpot




I saw this recipe on pinterest awhile ago and have wanted to try it.  I happened to come across steel cut oats at Aldi last week so I tried it out Friday night.  Andrew didn't like it because of the apples in it (He says he likes raw apples, not cooked apples.)  Chris didn't like it because he says he was forced to eat too much oatmeal in his youth.  :-)  But I thought it was great and it keeps in the fridge so I will be able to have a quick, healthy breakfast for a few mornings.


Here's the recipe with my changes:

Apple Pie Breakfast


Ingredients
- 1 cup of steel cut oats*
- 3 diced apples (I had some frozen ones in the freezer.  I don't think mine totaled 3 apples, I probably used about a cup and a half of sliced apples.)
- 1 cup apple juice 
- 3 cups water 
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)


(I added 1 cup of skim milk, 4-5 T of brown sugar, and a dash of salt also.)
Directions - Slow Cooker

For Best Results:  Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like.  Be sure to stir every hour or so.



* You can also cook longer without stirring, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier.  Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.

Photo

Here's what it looked like before it was cooked.

The whole reason I was attracted to this recipe was because I could do it overnight.  So I added the extra liquid (milk) and set my crockpot on low.  I happened to be awake at 5 in the morning so I went to check it and it was done, so I just set my crockpot to warm and it was perfect when I went to eat it at 8 AM.  Next time, I think I will make the recipe x 1.5.  I only have a 6 qt crockpot.  A smaller one may be better for this recipe if you want to do it overnight.

Photo
Here's what it looked like when we ate it in the morning.  Looks like the edges got a little overdone.

Photo

Yum!  I think it would be good with peaches or cherries too.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note! I love to hear from my readers.