Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff

Beef is a rare sight in my kitchen these days, but on occasion I can find marked down packages of stew meat at Meijer and I make this super easy beef dish that Chris and I both love.  The boys even eat it well after they pick the mushrooms out.

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
(I adapted this from a recipe I found online but now I can't find the orignal link back.)
1 1/2 lbs of stew meat (or cut up steak)
pepper
1 med onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups of beef broth
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced or quartered (I've tried canned and the end results aren't so yummy.)
1 tsp Worcestshire
2 tsp mustard (I use spicy.)
3 T of tomato paste (I freeze a can in small portions wrapped in saran wrap so I can just pull a few T at a time out of the freezer.)
1/2 cup sour cream
egg noodles or rice

Mix everything together in the crockpot except the sour cream and egg noodles.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for ~4 hours.  A few minutes before serving, stir in sour cream just to warm through.

Options for egg noodles:
1.  Boil noodles on the stove and serve with beef.
2.  Add about 2 more cups of beef broth to beef and stir in 1/2 a package of egg noodles and cook on high for 30 min, stirring once.  I like to do it this way because its easy and gets one less pan dirty, but the noodles do get a little mushy.  I don't mind them, but Chris prefers the noodles cooked on the stove.


I asked Andrew to wash the mushrooms for me and he did a great job.  He even thought it was fun!  He peeled carrots at dinner time for me too.  Looks like I have a helper in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note! I love to hear from my readers.