Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I grew up and now I like chicken salad

Have you ever been to a baby or bridal shower and had a gluey chicken mixture on a soggy croissant that's being passed as chicken salad? *shudder* I used to detest chicken salad. For one thing, it always seemed to be made with all dark meat that tasted too... chickeny. Oh and don't forget the fear of crunching down on a bone. So I always bypassed the chicken salad. That is, until a few weeks ago when my cousin Caylee made some delicious chicken salad for her soon to be sister's bridal shower. It was delicious! Caylee used this recipe as the basis of her salad. I used some from that recipe and some from this recipe to make MY chicken salad recipe. So here goes!


Chicken Salad
(I'd say this makes enough for about 4 people, but I wasn't too exact on measurements.)
1 1/2 cups chopped white meat chicken (post about how I cook chicken coming soon)
about 1 cup red grapes, halved (dried cranberries are awesome too)
1 finely chopped celery stalk
4-5 chopped green onions
a couple tablespoons of chopped red pepper
1/2 c of chopped pecans
1 T lemon juice
1T brown sugar
a dollop of mayo (1/4 cup?)
a dollop of plain yogurt (1/4 cup?)
some dry dill
salt
ground pepper

This is probably obvious, but you need to mix all of the above together. :-) PW says to let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors marinate. I would do that, but I'm a bit too impatient, so I ate it as soon as I finished and it was still good.
So, don't be afraid of chicken salad anymore. In the words of Rachel Ray, "Yummo!"

4 comments:

  1. If you use the Hellman's with canola oil, it is about 1/2 the calories. Tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I put apple and grapes and pecans in my chicken salad. Love the crunch from the fruit, and it almost doubles the amount with less chicken. Just another idea to try. And if you like curry, that really adds a nice flavor without adding any salt to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Kraft mayo with olive oil. :-) Will have to try the apples sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Good! We just made a triple batch. It works really good with all yogurt instead of mayo and even the fat free yogurt isn't bad in it. I still need to try it with dill though.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note! I love to hear from my readers.