Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Gleanings: Do Not Receive the Grace of the Lord in Vain

As God's co-workers, we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain.  For He says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you."  I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.  

This morning our minister made very clear that all who have heard the Word of God in the past year have received the grace of God.  We have received God's grace because of His good pleasure, not because of anything in us.  So the question is, have we received God's grace in vain or not?  If we are still unbelievers, we have misused the grace He has given us and have received it in vain.  And if we are believers and are not growing in godliness and in the likeness of Christ, we have also received it in vain.  Scripture is very clear that today is the day of salvation.  Just as in the days of Israel, God's grace may not always be with us.

I was able to read the bulletin meditation before church this morning and thought it tied in so well with the sermon we heard.  I'll leave you with some quotes from W. S. Plumer.  He is speaking to unbelievers now:

But although your soul is lost, it is not lost beyond recovery.  Blessed be God for that.  "There is mercy with God that He may be feared:" "with him plentiful redemption:"  "As I live, saith the Lord, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways and live; for why will ye die?"  I take up the words and repeat the question, why will you die?  Why will you not be saved?  I trust you will.  I pray you may.  I know that by divine grace you can.  The door of mercy is yet open, open to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note! I love to hear from my readers.