Thursday, October 08, 2009

Mexican Casserole

My good friend Jen made this casserole for us after we had Joel and it was great!
(I just edited the above sentence after posting because my husband got ahold of it)

Mexican Casserole

1 lb bulk pork sausage (I used some sweet Italian sausage)
2 14.5 oz cans of Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes with green chiles~added a bit of zip to the dish!)
2 c. cooked white rice
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used dried beans I had cooked~much cheaper, and you can even cook a big batch of them in the crockpot and freeze them for later use.)
3/4 cup sweet green pepper (I mixed in a bit of red as well.)
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over med heat until brown; drain. Stir in undrained tomatoes, rice, beans and pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 3 qt. baking dish.
2. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 min or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 5 min, uncovered.

Serve with sour cream if desired (You definitely must serve with sour cream!)

Chris thought this would taste good with warm tortillas. We ate it with these biscuits (best biscuits I have ever made and super easy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note! I love to hear from my readers.